Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Recipe: Simple, Healthy, & Quick Chicken Fajita's

Okay I was a little excited to do this post, mainly because it is my first recipe/food post, and because I have a little bit of a "laugh at me" moment to share with you.

Now, I have tried to cook just about everything. I love cooking, because I love to eat, and it just seemed to make sense. However, there was one item I hadn't dare try and I'm really not sure why. It seemed to be so simple and I totally could have just looked the recipe up online, but I guess I wasn't ready. The food I was totally afraid to cook was chicken fajitas. I know! Go ahead and laugh, I'm okay with it, I laughed at myself once I realized how simple they were to prepare.

Now if you work like me and have kids, I am going to give you the simplest recipe from ingredients to cooking method that will allow you to have the best chicken fajitas, and kid friendly too. I also want to tell you that my 4 year old eats NO vegetables, but he will eat them in chicken fajitas. So, as all of us mothers know, we get those veggies in any way we can. *Also, I wanted to note for those of you that have gluten intolerance or Celiacs, I would recommend checking the fajita mix because mine said it contained wheat. If you have a brand of fajita tortilla's you like use those instead of the traditional ones.

Ingredients (all can be adjusted to the amount you need to make, just double for more people or leftovers this recipe will feed 4 people 2 fajitas each):
  • 1lb chicken tenders
  • 2 packs fajitas mix
  • 1 pack pre-cut veggie fajita mix (you can find these in most grocery stores, I have found them in the small one close to home and our local Walmart Supercenter)
  • 1 pack fajita size tortilla's
Directions:
  • Place fajita veggie mix into large skillet with 2-3tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and saute until tender (about medium to medium high temp. will work)
  •  While the veggies are sauteing place the chicken tenders on a vented pan sprayed with a little Olive Oil spray and place in the oven at 375 degrees for about 7 minutes (until just about cooked)


  • Once the tenders come out, you want to cut them up into chunks just bigger than bite size and place into the pan, put the lid on and leave for about 7 minutes more with the lid on (turning heat down to medium low)
 

  • Once the veggies and chicken have cooked for about 7 minutes, you will use 2 forks to shred the chicken pieces. This should be fairly easy because of the baking process. Then add your fajita mix and proper amount of water (per package instructions) and bring to a boil(this allows the seasoning to thicken). Turn temperature down to low and you are ready to eat.
 


We like to have salsa and sour cream with ours. So you will place about 3/4 cup filling onto the tortilla, top with salsa and sour cream or any thing you like. You could add diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese. 



The wrapping process isn't really set in stone, but I place the filling to one end, bring the opposite end up over the filling and fold both sides in towards the middle.



There you have it a simple, healthy, and quick chicken fajita recipe! If you decide to try it I would love to hear about it. Also, if you have any suggestions or a chicken fajita recipe of your own share it or a link back to your blog for the recipe.
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I love Chicken Fajitas. I can understand why you were hesitating to make them too. I was for a while myself. (Let's not even mention my making enchiladas for the first time.) I will say that these look really good.

    I'm a part of the Bloggy Guide group with you. I look forward to getting to know you more throughout 2014 and beyond. I'm also a fellow Southern blogger.

    ReplyDelete